Overview of Major Changes
New world generation!
- Double the amount of biomes, with new trees/flowers/blocks.
- New “Amplified” world option.
- Less ocean, more awesome.
- Two new types of wood.
- Stained glass! With both blocks and panes.
- Packed ice, red sand, podzol.
- Lots of new flowers, including double-tall versions of current plants.
- Portals can be bigger sizes!
- Added more type of fish.
- Redone the fishing mechanics. Can now catch junk and treasure too.
- Fishing rod enchantments!
- Put them in an item frame and hang them on your wall. They’re extra big!
- Lots of new colours for lots of blocks!
- Now with less lag!
Achievement & Statistics overhaul!
- Now both world (or server) specific.
- In multiplayer, it’s announced to everybody when you get an achievement.
- You can move your mouse over this in the chat to see what it was!
- Some new achievements and statistic types were added.
- Zoomable achievements screen!
- Servers can now put a 64×64 image called “server-icon.png” in their folder, that you will see on your server list.
- You can see who’s online before joining a server; move your mouse over the player count!
- Lots of hidden preparation for allowing name changes.
Resource pack changes!
- You can now have multiple selected.
- They can completely re-do your sounds, adding new ones or changing current ones.
- Servers can now recommend a resource pack for you to use.
Chat & command improvements!
- New commands to spawn mobs or blocks of any type.
- Command block minecart!
- Clickable links to achievements and items.
- Click on somebody’s name in the chat to message them!
Lots and lots of technical work!
- Completely rewrote how the network (multiplayer) works.
- Completely rewrote the sound manager.
- New graphics options.
- Basic shader support testing.
- Many many bugs fixed.
Watch the full video playlist covering 1.7:
Mojang has stated that terrain generation will be rewritten to feature smaller oceans and larger continents. The number of biomes will be doubled and each biome will also have a rare "special" version, which will be different from the usual version of the biome in various ways.
Some of the new biomes so far:
A forest variant featuring exclusively birch trees.
Features many layers of stained hardened clay. Dead bushes and some trees may spawn in this biome.
Redwood forest/Mega Taiga
Filled with 2x2 birch trees. contains a grass block variant called podzol and a dirt block variant that does not allow grass to grow.
Sparsely wooded forest with peonies, orange tulips, white tulips, oxeye daisies, rose bush and allium.
Mostly flat grassy plains with lots of grass and sunflowers. May also contain other types of flowers.
The /summon command can be used to summon any entity next to the player. For example /summon Giant or /summon EnderDragon will cause a Giant or Ender Dragon to spawn adjacent to you. Keep in mind, the summon command is case sensitive.
There will be 15 different items that you can catch by fishing including new fish types. New enchantments will also be available that change your luck when fishing.
The achievement/statistics system will now be per world/server.
Fishing and falling now have particle effects.
Red, Orange, White and Pink Tulips, Blue Orchid, Allium, Azure Bluet, Oxeye Daisy, and Poppy flowers. This will make it possible to craft red, orange light gray, pink, light blue, magenta, and light gray dyes with flowers. TIP: feeding bonemeal to a two block tall flower bush will cause it to give out a flower block item. A flower block item can either be replanted or turned into dye.